A thought provoking question I came across in chapter 6 was if someone saw my life would they be able to see a drastic difference in the way I live from the way they live. I would like to say that it would be so obvious that I was Christian by my lifestyle but i dont know that that would be completely honest. Honestly when I look at my life there are areas I think that I do pretty good in but there are also a lot that I dont. One area I struggle in is being kind to family. I know they will always love me so I tend to vent on them but also i know that is not fair to them and that I dont always do it in the most respectful way, and God calls us to honor our parents.
Another point that was touched in this chapter was how we use our money. John Piper starts this section by telling us that its not a small thing Jesus spent much of his teaching time teaching on money then he gave us a lot of verses as examples. Out of the many I think one that particularly spoke to me right now is Luke 12:15. I am at a stage in life where i may not have the money to give but this verse reminds me its not just money but everything and that there are other things in my life that I can give up now to get into practice for when I do have money to give.
I love his picture of the Queen Mary in wartime and in peacetime. It made me think of a question I have been asked before, "When was the last time you cried for the lost people in this world that are going to hell?" Think about all the stupid reasons you cry or throw a pity party when in reality our hearts should be in constant agony for the lost and constant desire to do what we can to bring Jesus to them.
In my personal opinion one of the biggest problems with tv is that time wasted watching it. Time that you could be doing something productive but rather you sit and listen and watch the garbage that fills our secular world. Three ways tv has negatively influenced me are through the way people treat people sometimes on shows, the general waste of time, and lastly one the book pointed out and I thought very true was the greed wrapped up in the commercials. The one that most affects me is the waste of time. I spend time watching tv that I should be spending studying and meditating on God's Word.
Again this is one of those that I want to say I spend more time with God than technology but in reality I dont. This is very eye-opening to compare the two and look at what they are showing nonbelievers. I need to be more rooted in the Word of God than in the wasteless garbage on tv and the time I waste on facebook or whatever the bottom line is that I need to spend more time studying and meditating on God's Word, but not just that then applying it.
No comments:
Post a Comment