Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Assignment 2

       What I want in my future spouse...
     When I think about my future husband I think of so many things I would like him to be, but the first and most important characteristic that comes to mind is that he is a Christian.  Next, he has to be called to missions.  And some trailing things that come to mind are honest, courageous, and a leader.
     He has to be a Christian.  I think that if he is a Christian most of the other traits will follow.  The Bible says to not be unequally yoked in 2 Corinthians 6:14-15.  It also says that bad company ruins good morals in 1 Corinthians 15:33.  I think the second verse shows that even dating a non Christian is not setting yourself up to succeed, even if you think you are going to convert him or whatever...don't do it through a dating relationship.  I want him to love God so much that I am a far, far second.
     Another one that is really important to me is that he is called to the foreign mission field, because that is where God has called me.  I don't think a marriage would work to well if one person lives in Africa and the other in Oklahoma.  Another reason is that I don't want to put myself in a situation that could pull me from my calling.
     The other things like honesty, courage, and leadership will all fall in line if he is a Christian, because he will desire these things.
     Finally I would want our love to be a picture of Biblical love.  I would want it to be a picture of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way.
It is not irritable,
and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices with the truth.
Love never gives up,
never loses faith,
is always hopeful,
and endures though every circumstance.

1 comment: