Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween???

I know that for Christians Halloween can be considered a very controversial "holiday."  I've grown up with the view that it is ok, that it is just a day to dress up, have fun, and be with my family, but I've also seen the other side that views it as a satanic day that we should not participate in. 
I can see both sides to this in that it was originally created from the satanic holiday and changed to be a "Christian" holiday.  A lot of people think that it still has its original meaning and participating in it would be encouraging the actions of satanic worship.  This view is actually still happening, some people that participate in Halloween do believe satanic things, but that should open us up to an opportunity to share Christ with them and not only that but also be different from them in our costume choices and action choices for the night.  I think often times churches try to separate themselves by having an anti-halloween festival which is ok to do, but I dont think that it is the only right thing to do, because you could go into one of these "festivals" with the same wrong motives as you could trick-r-treating.
In conclusion, I think that it is ok to participate in Halloween as long as your motives are right and you set yourself apart from some of the awful costumes that are out there.  It is no different then Christmas which is based on a worldly holiday and changed to a Christian holiday, your motives have to be right going into it.  I think a right motive for Halloween is that it is an opportunity to be a light for Christ in a dark world and I think sometimes that does include Halloween night options put on by churches that may keep people from other situations they might be put in if they are elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with a lot of what you've said, Morgan. True, Halloween was a pagan holiday, and I commend the early church for trying to insert Christ into it. However, I still think that Halloween retains enough of its old traditions and meanings that it's not a Christian holiday. I agree with your sentiments though: it is a great sharing opportunity. Halloween is a rare night when many people who are lost are out and about, and vulnerable. It's just the kind of chance Christians should be on the lookout for. It is a much better purpose to be out on Halloween and sharing the gospel than to be at a church "festival" and acting just as you would if you were trick-or-treating. Great thoughts!! :)

    ReplyDelete