Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Walk the Aisle...

Walking the aisle is a fairly common practice in some churches and many camps.  My church is does not do altar calls, but we do go to Falls Creek and they do, so I am familiar with them to some extent, but I never knew the history of them.
This practice started long ago and and still continues today.  Originally it was designed as a way for the broken sinner to make their brokenness known and receive one-on-one consolation for it, but it has gradually become a controverserial subject.  One thing that caught my eye was Charles Finney's use of it.  Finney was convinced that it was a way in which preachers could force revival on the lost.  I disagree with this reasoning for doing it, because no one can bring revival except God.  I also think that often times a person can walk the aisle and get the false impression that saved them, also people often can be pressured into repeating the prayer the speaker says without them coming from their heart, which also can make people think that they are saved just because they said the prayer and walked the aisle.  Like I said my church does not do altar calls but I have been to situations in which they are done.  I actually have walked that aisle and this is where I can see that it was good, but I was a Christian and it was God pulling me not just pressure from the speaker which can so often be the case. It was good because it was not something I wanted to do, I did not want to draw the attention to myself, but I felt God tugging at my heart and it gave me a choice to either listen or not and it was a simple situation in which I practiced following God's call even though I didnt want to, and after doing it I received many resources relating to my call to missions in which I went down to signify.
I think that they are ok but they dont save people and I think that can be confusing to a lost person, so it must be clearly explained.  Also I dont think the preacher should put so much pressure on it that people think they have/need to do it, but that the only reason people would do it is because the LORD has convicted them.

3 comments:

  1. I special like the last statement that people should because they want to not because the preach pretty much tells them to. this is a good blog, great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people need to make the altar call because they want to not because they feel they have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the preacher can definitely pressure non-Believers to come to the front. That's what happened to me, kind of.

    ReplyDelete